Sunday, January 3, 2016

Weekly Devotional Plan

Happy Sunday Y'all!!

One of my goals for 2016 is to read the entire Bible cover to cover. I have always thought this would be impossible to do mostly since I thought it might be too hard to understand and it might be boring at times. But this past year I became closer to God and I feel like now is the perfect time to understand His words. 

Now, I am not the over religious type of person and will never push religion on anyone either. For years I talked to the man upstairs when it was convenient for me. Now I just want to become closer to God and understand what he is trying to say to me and know I can turn to him when I need guidance. I know, from my days of going through confirmation, that there are things I don't agree with in the Bible but that is life we don't agree with everything since we all have our own thoughts, ideals, and values. But I will try to understand everything that I read and not pass judgement. 


My first step was to find a Bible that I felt fit me as a person and didn't feel like I was faking it. This took a good amount of time in the back half of 2015. But I asked for guidance and He gave me the sign I was looking for. The bible that fits me the best was The Duck Commander Faith and Family Bible - which is written with the New King James Version. One reason this version spoke to me was that they incorporated 104 "set your sights" lessons that follow the five core values of the Robertsons - faith, family, fellowship, forgiveness, and freedom - which are woven into all they do. This way you can hear what Phil and Al have to say about one of these core values and how it is interrupted in the Bible - making it easier for me to fully understand God's word.

"Happy, happy, happy are the people whose God is the Lord!"
- Psalm 144:15 (extra happies added) 

    You can buy it here: store.duckcommander.com

My second step, which was the probably the reason I never read the bible before, was to figure out what to read and when so I can complete the entire Bible in one year but pace myself while doing it - since it is over 1,000 pages. Again, I asked for guidance and low and behold I was informed of an app that can help me with this task. The app is called She Reads Truth and is a community of women committed to reading God's Word together daily. Now, I am setting time aside every Sunday to read instead of everyday (at least that's the plan as of today). But I am using the plan "The Bible In A Year" to help guide me on what to read when, to pace myself throughout the year, and to check off readings to keep myself accountable. The app does allow you to do all your reading from your screen but I would rather have an actual bible to read from and takes notes and highlight passages that speak to me. This way I will always have it and it can be passed down to the next generation someday. 

    Like on Facebook: SheReadsTruth

I am super excited about taking this journey and if you would like to join me just let me know! I'd love to create a community that we can share what we have read and how it has impacted our lives. 

xoxo Redneck Princess RJ 


No comments:

Post a Comment